Tuesday, August 07, 2007

 

How To Eat Fried Worms

by Thomas Rockwell

This is one of those books I know I read as a child, but couldn't quite remember. One of those books that centres around the capers of madcap young boys long ago, in a less decidedly urban setting. I sort of lump it in with Robert Newton Peck's Soup books, hilarious and full of mischief I'd never find myself in. So I had to reread it so I could recommend it to some boys who I was pretty sure would love it. I mean, if nothing else, it has that gross-out factor, which is pretty cool with the young and masculine.

And indeed, it was funny and full of getting into trouble while trying to avoid even more trouble. The schemes on the one side to cause the worm-eater to lose are wild and full of imagination, while his stout resolve is fascinating, maybe even a little admirable, but certainly entertaining as the battle of wits and wills rages on. It's the very ending, though, that capped it off for me. I totally didn't expect a little twist!

Great stuff for the grade 3-6 set, I would say.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home